Lesson Plan for Using Verb Tenses

Lesson Plan for Using Verb Tenses (Past, Present, Future)
Lesson Title: All About Tenses: Past, Present, and Future
Grade Level: Grade 4
Standards Alignment:
 Common Core State Standards – English Language Arts (USA)

CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.L.4.1 – Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.L.4.1.D – Form and use the progressive (e.g., I was walking; I am walking; I will be walking) verb tenses.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.L.4.1.E – Use modal auxiliaries (e.g., can, may, must) to convey various conditions.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.L.4.1.F – Produce complete sentences, recognizing and correcting inappropriate fragments and run-ons.

Lesson Overview:
Focus: Introduce and practice past, present, and future tenses, including their definitions, differences, and where/when to use each tense in speaking and writing.
 Students will learn how to identify tenses, change sentences from one tense to another, and use the correct tense when talking or writing about events.
Learning Objectives:
By the end of the lesson, students will be able to:

Define verb tense in their own words.
Name and describe the three basic tenses: past, present, and future.
Identify the tense used in a sentence.
Explain the difference between past, present, and future tense and when to use each.
Change sentences from one tense to another (e.g., present to past, past to future).
Use correct tenses in short oral and written sentences about their lives (yesterday, today, tomorrow).

Materials and Resources:

Whiteboard and markers
Chart paper or poster for “Tense Anchor Chart”
Pre‑written sentence strips or cards (a mix of past, present, and future sentences)
Student notebooks or writing paper
Pencils, colored pencils/highlighters
“Tense Practice” worksheet (teacher‑created) with:
Matching sentences to tenses
Fill‑in‑the‑blank with correct tense
Sentence rewriting tasks

Exit ticket slips (small pieces of paper)
Optional: projector or board to display examples

Lesson Structure (5E Adapted for ELA):
Engage (10 minutes): Activating Prior Knowledge

Quick Talk Activity – Yesterday / Today / Tomorrow
On the board, write three headings: Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow.
Ask students:
“What did you do yesterday?” (Take 2–3 answers, write them as short sentences.)
Example: I played football.
“What are you doing today?”Example: I am learning English.
“What will you do tomorrow?”Example: I will visit my cousin.

Underline the main verbs (played, am learning, will visit).

Mini Discussion:
Ask: “What is different about these sentences?”
Guide them to see: Yesterday sentences talk about the past, Today about now, Tomorrow about the future.

Say: “Today we will learn how verbs change to show when something happens. This is called tense.”

Explore (15–20 minutes): Discovering the Tenses

Introduce Basic Definitions (Simple Language):
On the board or a chart, write:
Verb: a word that shows action or being (e.g., run, walk, is, are).
 Tense: tells us when the action happens.
Then add:
Present Tense: action is happening now.
Example: I play football.

Past Tense: action happened before / already.
Example: I played football.

Future Tense: action will happen later.
Example: I will play football.

Group Sorting Activity: “Tense Detective”
Give each small group 6–9 sentence cards (mix of tenses), for example:
I walk to school.
I walked to school.
I will walk to school.
She is reading a book.
She read a book yesterday.
She will read a book tonight.

Ask groups to sort the sentences into 3 piles:
Past, Present, Future.

Students discuss in groups and place cards under headings on their desks.
After 5–7 minutes, check as a class and correct if needed.

Build a Class Anchor Chart:
On chart paper, create three columns: Past / Present / Future.
Ask volunteers to place or rewrite some example sentences into each column.
Underline the verb in each sentence.

Explain (15–20 minutes): Clarifying Definitions and Differences

Formal Definitions (Student-Friendly):
Write and read together (students copy into notebooks):
Verb Tense: Verb tense tells us when an action happens: in the past, now, or in the future.
Past Tense: We use past tense for actions that already happened.
Present Tense: We use present tense for actions happening now or that happen regularly.
Future Tense: We use future tense for actions that will happen later.

Show Differences Clearly:
On the board, make a table:
Time WordPast Tense SentencePresent Tense SentenceFuture Tense Sentence
YesterdayI watched TV.––
Every day / now–I watch TV.–
Tomorrow––I will watch TV.


Explain:
Past often uses -ed verbs (walked, played, jumped)
Present often uses basic form or -s form (walk, walks) or *am/is/are + -ing
Future often uses will + verb (will walk, will play)

Guided Practice – Changing Tenses:
Start with a present tense sentence:
I walk to school.

Ask students to change it:
Past: I walked to school.
Future: I will walk to school.

Repeat for 2–3 more verbs (e.g., play, eat, read).

Where to Use Each Tense (Usage):
Past tense: stories about yesterday, last week, long ago.
Present tense: describing what is happening now or facts/routines.
Future tense: plans and predictions about tomorrow or later.

Elaborate (15–20 minutes): Practice and Application

Individual/Pair Worksheet Practice: Provide a worksheet with sections such as:
A. Identify the Tense:
 Students read each sentence and write PRESENT, PAST, or FUTURE.
He plays cricket every day.
She will ride her bike after school.
They visited the zoo last Sunday.

B. Fill in the Correct Verb Form:
Yesterday, I _______ (help) my mother. → helped
Every morning, I _______ (brush) my teeth.
Tomorrow, we _______ (go) to the park.

C. Change the Tense:
 Change each sentence from present to past, then to future.
I clean my room. → past: __________ → future: __________

Speaking Activity – Tense Circles:
Students sit or stand in a circle.
Pass a soft ball. The teacher calls out a time word:
“Yesterday” → student must say one past tense sentence about themselves.
“Today” → present tense sentence.
“Tomorrow” → future tense sentence.

Encourage use of I statements: Yesterday I watched a movie. Today I am studying. Tomorrow I will play.

Short Writing Task:
Students write three small sentences about themselves:
One sentence in past tense
One sentence in present tense
One sentence in future tense

They underline the verb and label each sentence Past / Present / Future.

Evaluate (10 minutes): Checking Understanding

Exit Ticket: Each student completes a quick 3‑part exit slip:
1. Define “verb tense” in one short sentence.
2. Write one past tense sentence. Underline the verb.
3. Circle the correct tense of this sentence:
 I will eat lunch at 1 o’clock.(Past / Present / Future)

Teacher Observation:
During group and pair work, note:
Who correctly identifies tenses
Who struggles with changing verbs
Who needs extra support with verb forms (especially irregular verbs like go/went, eat/ate)

Differentiation Strategies:

For Students Needing Support:
Provide a verb chart with simple examples: walk → walked → will walk.
Use color-coding: one color for past verbs, one for present, one for future.
Allow them to draw a small picture next to each sentence (yesterday, today, tomorrow).
Give sentence starters:
Yesterday I ________.
Today I ________.
Tomorrow I will ________.

For English Language Learners (ELLs):
Use gestures and timelines (left for past, center for present, right for future).
Provide word banks with time words (yesterday, last, now, every day, tomorrow, next).
Model sentences orally and have them repeat before writing.

For Advanced Students:
Introduce progressive forms: I was walking / I am walking / I will be walking (only as enrichment).
Ask them to write a short paragraph (4–5 sentences) using all three tenses.
Have them help peer-edit other students’ sentences for correct tense use.

Assessment Methods:
Formative Assessment:

Teacher observation during:
Tense card sorting
Whole-class discussions
Pair/small group work

Oral responses in the Yesterday/Today/Tomorrow activities.
Checking notebooks for correct copying of definitions and examples.

Summative Assessment:

Completed worksheet scored for:
Correct identification of tenses
Correct verb forms in fill‑in‑the‑blank
Accurate tense changes

Short written task (3 sentences in different tenses) graded with a simple rubric:
2 points: correctly uses past
2 points: correctly uses present
2 points: correctly uses future
2 points: verbs underlined and labeled
2 points: neatness/completeness

Optional short quiz later in the week:
Multiple choice and short-answer on definitions and examples of each tense.

Extensions and Cross-Disciplinary Connections:

Reading/Language Arts:
While reading a story, have students highlight past tense verbs and discuss why the author used past tense (narrating events that already happened).
Compare a story written in present tense versus one in past tense.

Social Studies:
When talking about history, emphasize past tense: People lived in…, They built….

Science:
Use present tense for scientific facts: Water boils at 100°C.
Use future tense for hypotheses: The plant will grow taller if it gets more sunlight.

Math:
Have students explain how they solved a problem using present tense: First I add…, then I subtract….

Creative Writing:
Ask students to write a 3-part mini-story:
One sentence in past (what happened)
One in present (what is happening now)
One in future (what will happen next)

Reflection Questions for Teachers:

What worked well to help students understand the difference between past, present, and future tenses?
Which activities (sorting, speaking, writing) showed the clearest evidence of understanding?
Which parts did students find most challenging (definitions, irregular verbs, switching tenses)?
Did all students, including ELLs and struggling writers, participate and show progress?
How can I reinforce tenses in future lessons (e.g., during reading, daily journal writing, or oral sharing)?
What changes would I make next time to give students more practice or clearer explanations?

This lesson can be split into two shorter sessions if needed:

Day 1: Introduce tenses, definitions, and sorting activity.
Day 2: Practice, writing application, and assessment.

Comments